Frequently Asked Questions

What does APE do?

The APE program is designed to provide individuals with disabilities the opportunity to obtain the benefits of improved physical fitness, where participation in a non-adapted physical education setting would be not be the same. 

What does APE provide?

The broad range of on and off campus courses to meet the fitness needs of students with disabilities include exercise in the areas listed below. 

Total Adapted Fitness
Adapted Strength
Adapted Aerobics
Adapted Aquatics
Adapted Outdoor Education
Adapted Cardiovascular Training

Curriculum is designed to accommodate individual programs as well as appropriate group instruction. 

What are the classes like?

  • Individuals of all ages and backgrounds participate.
  • Most classs enroll up to 15 or more students.
  • There is a wide range of disabilities represented in classes.
  • Each student engages in a program of exercises based on his/her own individualized plan, with minimal group participation. 

What are Synchronous and Asynchronous Classes?

Synchronous Courses

Are live online courses that are conducted in real-time. The instructor and students are together in the same session, which will begin and typically end at a fixed time.

Asynchronous Courses

Are made up of prebuilt course components, allowing students to complete them at the time and pace of their choosing.

How are classes scheduled?

APE classes follow the De Anza College's quarter system calendar. Each quarter lasts for (12) twelve weeks, except for an (8) eight week long summer session.

Fall Quarter (12 weeks)
Late September to mid December

Winter Quarter (12 weeks)
January to end of March

Spring Quarter (12 weeks)
Early April to end of June

Summer Quarter (8 weeks)
July to late August

For specific starting and ending dates, see the De Anza College website calendar.

Classes that meet three times a week are 50 minutes in length and classes that meet twice a week are 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Students enroll for one quarter length session at a time. Those who want to continue in the following quarter session's classes, must re-enroll quarterly.

What are the enrollment fees?

Enrollment Fees

Fees are set by the California state legislature.  More information on fees is available from the Cashier's Office. The Quarterly Enrollment Fees is $31.00 per unit. The Basic one-time Campus Fees are $53.75 for Fall, Winter, Spring and  $51.75 for Summer.

Read More

How do I repeat APE Courses?  

Petition for Course Repetitions

A student with a verified disability enrolled in a special class may request to repeat the special class.  Additional repetitions may be permitted only if one or more of the circumstances listed on the form (A, B, and/or C) apply to the student’s situation.

A) To my continuing success in other general and/or special classes.
List classes: _________________

B) To completing my preparation for enrollment into other regular or special classes.
List classes: _________________
C) List the specific educational goals per to the Student’s Education Plan:
List goal: _________________

The specific DSP&S Department faculty and staff have reviewed this petition and have taken the action as indicated on the front of the form.  The decision to approve or deny additional repetitions is based on the validity of the declared special circumstances.  The approval period is only effective for the quarter and year listed on the front of the form. When an approval period expires, the student must re-apply if he/she believes that one or more of the special circumstances are still valid and the student wishes to continue enrollment in the special class in question. If the request for repetitions is denied, the explanation and comments of why the specific DSP&S Department faculty and staff believe the special circumstances declared by the student are invalid or no longer apply, must be listed on the form.    

How do I apply for Financial Aid? 

California College Promise Grant Application (CCPG)
Low income students may qualify for fee assistance through the California College Promise Grant Application formerly knows as the Board of Governors Fee Waiver. Students can contact the Financial Aid office for more information or consult with a DSS counselor for assistance.

This is an application to have your ENROLLMENT FEES WAIVED. If you need money to help with books, supplies, food, rent, transportation and other costs, please complete a FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA) or the California Dream Application (for eligible AB 540 students) immediately. The FAFSA is available at and the Dream Application is available at Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information 

The CALIFORNIA COLLEGE PROMISE GRANT application is for California residents, students eligible under AB 540 and under AB 1899 as determined by the Admissions or Registrar’s Office, and for homeless youth as determined by the Financial Aid Office. If you have not had your California residency or eligibility status determined by the Admissions or the Registrar or homeless status determined by the Financial Aid Office, see one of those offices to obtain the determination. California College Promise Grant eligibility cannot be determined until your status has been verified. 

Apply Online

Read More

How does a student apply and register?

At De Anza College, we've made it easy to apply for admission and qualify for priority registration, so you can get the classes you need to achieve your goals.

All it takes is a few simple steps the button below!

APPLY and Register for APE

What are the student learning outcomes?

Within the context of a student's disability and with the appropriate accommodations, the student will be able to demonstrate that his/her physical and psycho-social well-being has been positively affected through their full and effective participation in the Adapted Physical Education program.

Read More

What are the parking fees?

Parking fees are the same for all students, except for a discount provided to students who receive the California College Promise (Board of Governors) Fee Waiver.

  • Quarterly or Annual Decal Fee
  • Summer Session Decal Fee
  • Daily Parking Fee 

A California issued DMV disability plate or placard exempts a student from purchasing a De Anza student parking permit. 

Read More

Important Information

A  De Anza College parking permit OR the DMV placard/plate must be displayed at all times while parked in any campus parking lot.

Where do students get dropped off?

APE students must park their vehicles in the college parking lots. The most convenient location is Lot C on the east side of campus off Stelling Road, near the entrance to the pool and Physical Education complex. 

Students with severe mobility problems that makes walking or wheeling from Lot C to PE 13 impossible or inadvisable may use the drop-off access road behind gyms PE1 and PE2After dropping-off the student, the vehicle must then be parked in Lot C during the student's class period. This area is also used by paratransit vehicles. 

PE 13 parking spacePE 13 Passenger Pickup/Dropoff Zone
Between gym buildings PE1 and PE2

Important Information

Vehicles are not permitted to remain in the loading area or in the access road area during classes.
Please do not leave your vehicle engine running. 

How do I request accommodations?

A student with a verified disability can work with a DSS counselor at Disability Support Services to request accommodations. Together they identify academic goals and the course patterns to acheive them, develop and implement an individualized list of accommodations and services that are appropriate to the goals and address specific educational limitations.  In addition, they also monitor academic progress, identify additional on or off campus resources and adjust goals or accommodations as needed. 

Make an appointment with Disability Support Services. 

Important Information

DSS Counselors are also available to answer questions during the 10 minutes drop-in times. Please contact DSS to check the availability of our DSS Counselors. 

Do you provide mobility services? 

A wheelchair-accessible courtesy shuttle service is available to students with temporary or permanent disabilities that affect their mobility. Transport to classrooms on a regularly scheduled basis or for special appointments may be arranged.  The shuttle operates between major campus buildings and is available Monday - Friday from 7:30 am - 4:30 pm. 

Read More

How do I schedule a tour to APE?

Prospective students are welcome to visit APE during class time. Please submit your request at least 72 hours in advance to the proposed visitation date. A staff member from APE will respond to your email with confirmation.   

Read more 

How do I file a complaint?

If you have personally experienced harassment, sexual harassment or discrimination – or if you think you may have experienced such conduct and would like assistance – you can contact the college Title IX coordinator to discuss your concerns. You can also learn how to file a complaint and find a link to the online complaint form by visiting the Title IX website


Hours and Location

placeholder default text

Building PE1, Gym PE-13
View on map

Back to Top