There are two types of nondisciplinary probation: Academic and Progress.
See the following administrative procedures of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District:
A student will be placed on Academic Probation if their cumulative Grade Point Average (for all courses taken at De Anza) falls below 2.0. An initial period of probation lasts for one quarter.
- The student will be taken off probation if they increase their cumulative GPA to at least 2.0.
- If a student's GPA for the quarter they are on probation is at least 2.0, but their cumulative GPA remains below 2.0, they will remain at the same level of probation for another quarter.
- If a student's GPA for the quarter they are on probation is below 2.0, and their cumulative GPA remains below 2.0, they will move to the next level of probation for the following quarter.
- If a student's GPA for the quarter on probation is below 2.0, and their cumulative GPA has remained below 2.0 for at least five quarters (excluding summer sessions), they can be placed on Dismissal status for the next quarter. Students have the option to appeal or petition for reinstatement after a quarter.
Students are placed on progress probation if they have enrolled in at least 18 quarter units, as shown by the official academic record, and received entries of F, W, I, NP or NC for 50% or more of those units.
- A student will be taken off probation if the cumulative percentage of units in which they have received a W, I or NP drops below 50%.
- If the cumulative percentage of units for which the student has received a W, I or NP remains at 50% or higher for five quarters (excluding summer sessions), they will be placed on Dismissal status for the next quarter. Students have the option to appeal or petition for reinstatement after a quarter.
Eligibility for Aid or Benefits
Having a cumulative GPA below 2.0 for two or more quarters, or a cumulative completion rate below 51% for two or more quarters, can affect eligibility for certain types of financial aid or veteran’s benefits. Learn more at deanza.edu/financialaid/types/waivers.
A student on academic probation is subject to dismissal if the student’s cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 for all units attempted in each of five consecutive quarters.
A student on progress probation is subject to dismissal if the student receives an F, W, I, NP or NC for 50% or more of the units enrolled in at least five consecutive quarters.
Academic Reinstatement After Dismissal
The Board of Trustees for the Foothill-De Anza district has established procedures under state law for students to petition for reinstatement to De Anza College. Students must submit a new application for admission and meet with a counselor to review their academic goals and other matters relevant to a successful educational experience.
If a counselor recommends approval, the petition must be submitted to the Appeal Review Committee. Students who petition for reinstatement must describe their educational goals, the courses they wish to take in a specific quarter and the factors that have changed which now cause them to expect success. Learn more about the Appeal Review Committee at deanza.edu/admissions/arc.
Attending De Anza and Foothill College
The De Anza College probation and dismissal system might not accurately reflect the correct academic probation status for students who have enrolled at both Foothill College and De Anza. Students who are enrolled within the current quarter at both colleges or have an academic history with both colleges, should contact a counselor at De Anza for assistance regarding their probation or dismissal status at De Anza.
Students who take classes at both De Anza and Foothill are responsible for keeping track of their grades to ensure that they remain in good standing at each college. A student may be in good standing at Foothill College, and still be subject to probation or dismissal at De Anza if they fall below the required academic performance.