Using Your High School Transcript
If you attended a U.S. high school for three or more years, we may be able to use your high school transcript to assess your ESL level.
On this page you will find more information about how this works and steps you will need to follow.
Check Your Placement
Log in to MyPortal and click on the Student Registration tile
Look under “My Records” and click on View My Placement Results
Choose Your Courses
If your U.S. high school GPA was 2.4 or higher, you will see a placement result in MyPortal.
- You can begin your studies by taking the first ESL course indicated in your placement.
- After you take that course, you can advance to the next course in the ESL course sequence chart.
To register for classes:
- Look in the class schedule for the class you need to take first, and then follow the steps to register
- You will need your CWID and MyPortal password.
If Your Result Says "Take the ESL Assessment"
If your U.S. high school GPA was below 2.4, you will see a message telling you to take the ESL assessment, which is also called the Guided Self-Placement survey.
- This assessment will help you decide which class to take.
- Visit the Guided Self-Placement webpage to learn what you need to do.
If You Don't See a Placement
If you don’t see a placement result in MyPortal, we may not have received your high school transcript. (Most high schools provide these to us automatically.)
- In this case, you will need to complete the U.S. High School Transcript Assessment form.
- Please download the form, fill it out and then email it to email@example.com
- You will receive an email when your transcript has been processed and your placement is ready for viewing in MyPortal.
Plan Your Next Steps
After your first class, you can advance to other courses in the ESL course sequence.
You can learn more about the sequence by reviewing the list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Your academic counselor can help you choose classes and plan your studies at De Anza.
If you did not attend a U.S. high school for at least three years, you will need to take the ESL guided self-placement assessment.
De Anza will NOT accept any other assessments for ESL or English course placement, such as iTEP, O-Level Exams, TOEFL or IB.