Using Your High School Transcript

students talking in class

If you attended a U.S. high school for three or more years, we may be able to use your high school transcript to assess your ESL level.

On this page you will find more information about how this works and steps you will  need to follow.

Check Your Placement

Log in to MyPortal and click on the Student Registration tile

Look under “My Records” and click on View My Placement Results


Choose Your Courses

If your U.S. high school GPA was 2.4 or higher, you will see a placement result in MyPortal.

  • You can begin your studies by taking the first ESL course indicated in your placement.
  • After you take that course, you can advance to the next course in the ESL course sequence chart.

To register for classes:

  • Look in the class schedule for the class you need to take first, and then follow the steps to register
  • You will need your CWID and MyPortal password.

If Your Result Says "Take the ESL Assessment" 

If your U.S. high school GPA was below 2.4, you will see a message telling you to take the ESL assessment, which is also called the Guided Self-Placement survey.

  • This assessment will help you decide which class to take.
  • Visit the Guided Self-Placement webpage to learn what you need to do.

Take the Guided Self-Placement

If You Don't See a Placement

If you don’t see a placement result in MyPortal, we may not have received your high school transcript. (Most high schools provide these to us automatically.)

  • In this case, you will need to complete the U.S. High School Transcript Assessment form.
  • Please download the form, fill it out and then email it to
  • You will receive an email when your transcript has been processed and your placement is ready for viewing in MyPortal.

U.S. High School Transcript Assessment Form

Plan Your Next Steps

After your first class, you can advance to other courses in the ESL course sequence.

View the ESL course sequence

You can learn more about the sequence by reviewing the list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

See FAQs and More Information

Your academic counselor can help you choose classes and plan your studies at De Anza. 

If you did not attend a U.S. high school for at least three years, you will need to take the ESL guided self-placement assessment. 

De Anza will NOT accept any other assessments for ESL or English course placement, such as iTEP, O-Level Exams, TOEFL or IB.

Click for ESL Guided Self-Placement

Back to Top