Military Recruiting Information
The Solomon Amendment is a federal law that allows military recruiters to receive certain address, biographical and academic program information for students who are 17 or older. The U.S. Department of Education has determined that this law takes precedence over another law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which limits sharing of student records.
As a result, De Anza College is obligated to release certain “student recruiting information” that might be otherwise restricted by FERPA policies. However, if a student has submitted a request to withhold directory information, then the college will not release student recruiting information for that student.
Student recruiting information may include:
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Age and date of birth
- Place of birth
- Level of education
- Academic major
- Degrees received
- Educational institution in which the student was most recently enrolled
Instructions for Students
To submit a request to withhold directory information, use the online Student Records Release form. You'll find this on MyPortal by opening the app for Adobe Sign Student Forms, or on the Student Forms webpage.
Instructions for Recruiters
Here is the process for military recruiters to request information
- Student recruiting information will be released for military recruitment purposes only.
- Recruiters may request may request student recruiting information once each quarter,
for each of these 12 service units:
- Army: Army, Army Reserve, Army National Guard
- Navy: Navy, Navy Reserve
- Marine Corps: Marine Corps, Marine Corps Reserve
- Air Force: Air Force, Air Force Reserve, Air Force National Guard
- Coast Guard: Coast Guard, Coast Guard Reserve
- The request must be submitted in writing on letterhead clearly identifying the military station or unit of service requesting the information.
- The request should list what information is being requested.
- The request should specify whether the information needed is for the current or previous quarter
All requests under the Solomon Amendment will be reviewed by the college Enrollment Services Division. Please submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org