General Meeting Information

Date: February 12, 2020
Time: 1:30 p.m. - 3 p.m.

  • Agenda

    Time Topic Purpose Discussion Leader
    1:30 p.m - 1:45 p.m. Introduction: Welcome and Conocimiento I Melissa Aguilar
    1:45 p.m. -1:55 p.m. Welcome/Equity Partners - New Faculty Intro/ Liliana Rivera/Amy Wang I Alicia Cortez
    1:55 p.m. - 2:05 p.m. College Council Update I Edmundo Norte
    2:05 p.m. - 2:15 p.m. Police Chief Advisory Update I Danny Acosta/E. Norte
    2:15 p.m. - 2:25 p.m. EAC Retreat Proposal


    Alicia Cortez
      College Planning Committee Update after College Council    Alicia Cortez and Tony Santa Ana
    2:25 p.m. - 2:35 p.m.

    Subcommittee Report:

    • DASB/ICC   
    • Equity Champion Award  
    • Technology Advisory  
    I All
    2:35 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. Announcements I All
    2:45 p.m. - 3 p.m. Appreciations I All

    A = Action
    D = Discussion
    I = Information

  • Minutes


    Present: Melissa Aguilar, Angelica Esquivel Moreno, Mylinh Pham, Deborah Taylor, Carmen Lizardi Folley, Tony Santa Ana, Daniel Acosta, Sandy Cardoza, Alicia Cortez

    Guests: Amber Rodriguez, Andrew Phelps, Nick Chivers, Liliana Rivera, Cynthia Kaufman,Fatima Cervantes, Jennifer Garcia,

    Absent: Edmundo Norte, Erick Aragon, Thien Nga Nguyen, 

    Meetin Items


    Icebreaker Prompt w/pair share: What is the story behind your name?

    Welcome/Equity Partners- Liliana Rivera - PUENTE

    A UC funded program is a cohort of 30 students. In order to be part of PUENTE, student needs to be eligible for English, take a life skill class with  PUENTE counselor (ENG 1A HUMA 20, ELIT 41 (Ethnic studies and life careers) and EWRT2 for a year and remains with the program for 2-3 years. Throughout the year we have events, mentors, career nights. Counselor meets with students regularly and meet with them to cover personal issues and work on their academic plan. Counselor is located in SSRS in LCW 102. It is a good time to let students know to reach out to Liliana now. Online application will be on the PUENTE website in Spring 2020. 

    Question: How do I announce PUENTE in the classroom?

    Answer: PUENTE gets filled so quickly, and they apply before they start De Anza, it is first come first served.

    Question: How does it impact considering AB705?

    Answer: Many students are first generation, there is a counseling piece, and a mentorship aspect. As a cohort, once the students are in the program, then they are in the program until they transfer out of De Anza.

    AB705 is making it so we are focused on the ENG 1A and not just ENG 1A and also developmental classes.

    Equity Partner, Amy Wang, could not make it to today’s meeting.

    College Council Update – Tabled

    College Planning Committee

    Currently Alicia sits on this committee and it is a shared governance group. The college council planning is chaired by Mallory Newel, our Institutional Research (IR) staff member, she develops the master plan for our campus, creates the subcommittees as we get ready for accreditation. She also works with the SLOs. The committee looks at our institutional metrics and what we have to complete. Over the years we have created a college plan that has included an equity minded framework so our college plan is more aligned with our equity plan that we report to the state (State Equity Initiative)

    There are three pots of monies:

    • Basic Skills Initiative – whose program coordinator is Deepa. These monies are about tutorial support, learning assistance, basic skills, and supplemental instruction for our faculty.
    • Student Equity Program - whose program coordinator is Tony and this is focused on the state equity partners, and personnel funding.
    • Student Success and Support Program - whose program coordinator is Erica and this focuses on counseling funding.

    How do we get our students here to De Anza, assess their goals, determine how to best support them and keep them and then graduate them or how to support them as they complete their 1) certificates and/or 2) AA degree and/or 3) enter the workforce.

    The college planning group is responsible for the decision making because they made up the different groups on campus and is now called the SEA. 

    Some members are:

    Diana Alves de Lima from IPBT, Karen Chow from Academic Senate, Heidi King from Classified Senate, Marisa Spatafore, Lorrie  Ranck, Rob Mieso, Christina Espinosa-Pieb, Mallory Newell, Marilyn Booye and Yvette Alva-Campbell

    College Planning Committee Website

    The discussion now is how we move forward. Alicia will report back on the SEA Program

    The intention is to be transparent - for people to access and apply for the funds with criteria specific to close the gaps, we are polishing it up before it rolls out to be in place by the Spring 2020. 

    Police Chief Advisory Update

     The latest update is that recently hired staff are to create a new Duty Manual. Website is in the works and will share the police chief advisory’s work, and other items like the complaint process. Tony and Edmundo came to the department meeting and provided a short training and it went well. Talked about implicit bias. Some trainings are being added for the future. We have to abide by the most recent law SB1421.

    Regarding supporting students who are houseless, there was an idea to provide a safety park program but it would cost $800,000 a year. The district wants to build a fence. Measure E and H is for our houseless students but we do not know if they are connected to the possibility off a safety park program. The future for the Flint Center included ideas for transitional housing or emergency housing and resources for our houseless students. Currently, the district has no policy, which means De Anza would need to draft policy and then police department can enact or implement said policy. St Jude’s Church provides a safety park program right now.

    The current policy is that cars get checked at midnight or close to midnight. We are held liable/responsible if something happens to them between the hours of12am-6pm. We would need four new officers and their equipment to cover that time at a very minimum. Other things like putting a fence and adding wrap around resource and or social services is another layer. Liabilities and civil liability comes up. Some recommendations

    • The Anti Police Terror Project from Oakland suggested to consult the advisory work. However, campus police is focused on FHDA community for now.
    • Add this to the agenda at our next EAC meeting.  
    • Invite a SJCC sociologist professor to come and speak about this
    • Some ideas are Boba with a cop and to write in La Voz.

    Next police advisory meeting is on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 230pm at MCC.

    EAC Retreat Proposal  

    We are looking at a one day retreat. Let us know if you would like to join the planning

    Some items of discussion at the retreat are: How do we build folks in their decisions? What kind of training do we provide or bring in so they can better support their division and discipline. Build community and trust, how to strategize how to do work on an intuitional level and not just by EAC. Best practices and best ideas for equity. Edmundo is dedicated ethnic studies and we can bring that as a framework for this work.

    And students are invited too 

    Ola was so gracious and took the equity section from all the program reviews as a way to see all the feedback for each program through an equity lens.

    Subcommittee Report

    DASB/ICC - Paige Wallace was suggested as a possible DASB representative. Current DASB student representative absent for today’s meeting.

    Equity Champion Awards - Reached out to individuals to participate in the committee and only one responded. I will email the winners to invite them to the 2020 committee

    Technology Advisory - It has been 3 years since they have surveyed students about their technology service needs.  There has been a lot of cancellation of meetings, and was recently announced that they will not be a survey for students and it was also announced that they will survey faculty who were already surveyed recently (one year ago). Students have access to free Microsoft Office 365 on the cloud but they don’t know. Mary Pape, the co-chair of Academic Senate, will announce to faculty who will announce to students. Cynthia will do resolution at Academic Senate to ask the office of communications to send out a mass outreach effort to ensure students know this. Alicia will share at the Dean’s meeting. There is a lot of printing issues, and the committee does not bring these issues up

    On another note, it was also suggest that we ask to do a video to show how to do an online timesheet via HR, created by the communications team?


    HEFAS Mental Health (Feb 27, 2020):  

    Global Issues Conference Feb 25, 2020 10:30am-4pm, 1030am Guatemalan refugee solidarity and skyped in and 130pm plenary of Forced Migration and asylum for queer folx

    Day of Remembrance, Feb 18, 2020 1:30pm @ Conf Rm A + B

    Erika Huggins, HIP Speaker Feb 20, 2020 1:30-3:30pm @ Conf Rm A + B

    Asian American Pacific Islander High School Conference Thurs Feb 13, 2020 – please reach out to counselor, Jesus Ruelas, the volunteer coordinator to get involved.


Documents and Links

  • None

Back to Top