Our vision is of a world where every child is nurtured, respected and supported in their development by professional, well-trained teachers who help them to become responsible, engaged and caring citizens of the global community.
See Our Degrees and CertificatesWe offer two degrees and five different certificates in the fields of Child Development and Education. See the complete list and requirements.
New Grant Expands Apprenticeships
With help from a three-year, $1.2 million state grant, De Anza's Child Development and Education Department is expanding an innovative apprenticeship program that offers students the opportunity to get paid as they work and take classes in their field.
The mission of the Child Development and Education Department is to prepare a diverse student population, including Child Development majors and students from other majors and departments, for transfer within the Behavioral and Social Sciences. The department also provides comprehensive educational opportunities to help students meet professional growth and workforce requirements.
- The importance of relationships in all human learning
- Pedagogy grounded in current research and knowledge
- Embracing diversity through genuine acceptance of each individual’s uniqueness
- Communication as a mutual responsibility
- Professionalism demonstrated through reflective practice, ethical behavior, advocacy and life long learning
Job and Internship Postings
De Anza College has partnered with Handshake as a job and internship platform for students and employers.
- Students: You can log in to Handshake through MyPortal (look for the icon in the Student Apps section) or through the De Anza Handshake website to view available jobs and internships.
- Employers: Please register on Handshake's employer site to post your jobs and internships for students.
Online Learning Updates
The Commission of Teaching Credentialing has provided guidance for Child Development programs including information on child development permits. You can also find resources on these webpages
- Online Learning Support for Students
- Resources for Basic Needs – including food, housing and psychological services
- Tips and Updates for the Current Quarter