An introduction to the structure and reactivity of matter at the molecular level. Application of critical reasoning to modern chemical theory and structured numerical problem solving. Development of molecular structure from rudimentary quantum mechanics, including an introduction to ionic and covalent bonding. Chemical problem solving involving both formula and reaction stoichiometry employing the unit analysis method. An introduction to thermochemistry and a discussion of the first law of thermodynamics.
|21578||CHEM 1A||5||M·W····||04:30 PM-05:45 PM||Christopher Deming||S32|
|M·W····||11:30 AM-02:20 PM||SC2202|
Class Materials: View textbook and/or other materials for this course available at the Bookstore.
Class Dates: This class runs from 2019-09-23 to 2019-12-13.
- 5 Units
- Three hours lecture, six hours laboratory (108 hours total per quarter).
- Gen Ed
- General Education Class
- Program Status
- Program Applicable
- Credit - Degree Applicable
- Grading Method
- Letter Grading
- See general education pages for the requirement this course meets.
- Not open to students with credit in CHEM 1AH.)
- CHEM 25 or CHEM 30A or satisfactory score on the Chemistry Placement Test; MATH 114 or equivalent.
- EWRT 1A or EWRT 1AH or ESL 5.