About the Academic Senate
The Academic Senate is represented by all full-time and part-time members of the De Anza faculty and Foothill-De Anza Board of Trustees in promoting the quality of community college education. This site provides information about the decisions of committee, current members of the Senate, and developing academic and professional potential.
The Academic Senate includes all faculty members. Division senators and officers comprise the Executive Committee, which meets Mondays 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Adm 109.
NOTE: Due to COVID19 Closed Campus, Academic Senate meetings are being conducted via ZOOM until further notice/update:
This Monday's Academic Senate Meeting will be available for you to participate in via Confer Zoom. Per Governor Newsom's emergency order for COVID19 sheltering in place, holding this meeting in Confer Zoom satisfies Brown Act requirements requiring a publicly accessible meeting location.
JOINING VIA COMPUTER/LAPTOP:
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://cccconfer.zoom.us/j/595531954
JOINING VIA IPHONE:
Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +16699006833,595531954# or +13462487799,595531954#
JOINING VIA ANY PHONE:
+1 669 900 6833 (US Toll)
+1 346 248 7799 (US Toll)
+1 312 626 6799 (US Toll)
+1 646 876 9923 (US Toll)
+1 253 215 8782 (US Toll)
+1 301 715 8592 (US Toll)
Meeting ID: 595 531 954
International numbers available: https://cccconfer.zoom.us/u/acG6BotGU2
Senate Officers' Office Hours, ADM 117:
- NOTE:Due to COVID19 Closed Campus, there are NO on-campus office hours. To contact the officers, please email them.
- By appointment 408.864.8358, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Senate Newsletter
Meeting Notes, Agendas, Needs & Confirmations
Needs & Confirmations-Updated 4/19/2020
FAQ from Public Comment Agenda Item - 6/3/2019
General Education Proposals Approved
The periodic review of General Education has been concluded and has resulted in the approval of a new Philosophy of General Education statement, new Criteria for General Education Course qualifying, and a new Environmental Sustainability and Global Citizenship general education requirement. The work of implementation has now been taken over by a new ad hoc committee. See an Academic Senate officer for details.
Primary duties of the Academic Senate
The Academic Senate's purpose is to solidify standards regarding admission, curriculum, degrees, and faculty responsibilities to improve De Anza.
The Board of Trustees relies primarily on the Academic Senate to develop curriculum, including establishing prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines. The Senate sets:
- Degree and certificate, general education and program specific requirements
- Grading policies
- Standards regarding student preparation and success
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
Jointly shared duties of the Academic Senate
The Board of Trustees relies jointly on the Academic Senate for development of:
- Degree and certificate requirements, including units required for completion
- Educational program development
- Governance structures as related to faculty roles
- Faculty involvement in accreditation
- Policies for program review
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon between the board and the Academic Senate
Faculty Search Committee Selection Process- Explains the selection process for serving on faculty hiring committees at De Anza College and the role of the Academic Senate in this process.