Steps to Register
Welcome Day 2019New students: Meet your instructors. Save $$ at the Bookstore. We'll have music, snacks and great prizes, too! Come to Welcome Day on Sept. 20.
Before you start
New Students: Make sure you have first applied for admission and followed all the steps on our How to Apply webpage. Don't forget to declare a major (not "undecided") and select a goal of transfer, degree or certificate if you want to qualify for priority enrollment. Then come back to this page and follow the steps below to register for classes.
Former Students: You must reapply for admission if you missed a term, except if you skipped summer session. Don't forget to declare a major (not "undecided") and select a goal of transfer, degree or certificate if you want to qualify for priority enrollment. Then come back to this page and follow the steps below to register for classes.
Follow these steps to get the classes you need each quarter
View the Class Schedule
- Search the Online Schedule for the courses that you need.
- Make a note of the 5-digit Course Registration Number (CRN), which you will need to register for (add) classes inside MyPortal.
- Click on the "Title" link for each class to get complete details, including prerequisite requirements and dates for nonstandard-length classes.
Check Prerequisites, Corequisites and Advisories
- Check for Prerequisites, Corequisites and Avisories.
- If you've completed prerequisite coursework at another college, submit a Prerequisite Clearance Request at least two weeks before your date to register.
- Courses designated with the note "Learning in Communities" may require faculty approval for enrollment or co-enrollment in another class.
Get Your Date to Register
- Find your Date to Register. This is usually available about two weeks before registration begins. Your date will be determined by your completion of the requirements for Priority Enrollment, your student status and number of units completed.
- You'll want to register for classes in MyPortal as soon as you can, for the best chances of getting into the classes that you need.
Log in to MyPortal and Register (Add Classes)
- Log in to MyPortal and open the "Apps" page, then click to open the "Student Registration" tile. Then click the link to "Add or Drop Classes."
- If a class you want is closed, check to see if there's another section for the course that you need.
- If no other time will fit into your schedule of classes, add your name to a class Waitlist.
- You can also try to Add Classes after the quarter begins, by attending the first class session.
- Don't forget to Pay Your Fees upon registration so that you are not dropped for nonpayment.
- If you have trouble logging in to MyPortal, see the MyPortal Login Tips webpage.
Understand How a Waitlist Works
- Review Waitlist Policies before placing your name on a waitlist.
- If space becomes available, you will be automatically enrolled in the class and notified by email. If you no longer want this class, it is your responsibility to drop it.
- Update your personal information in MyPortal and check your email often.
Decide if You Want Pass/No Pass Grading
- Before the quarter begins, you can use MyPortal to request Pass/No Pass Grading for a class.
- After the class begins, you must use the Pass/No Pass printed form and turn in to the Admissions Office.
- Note: Some transfer institutions will not accept Pass/No Pass grades. Under state regulations, a Pass/No Pass grade cannot be changed to a letter grade.
Drop a Class (If You Need To)
- You are responsible for dropping courses that you choose to no longer attend.
- Check the Academic Calendar for the deadline to drop classes for refunds and the deadline to drop for a W (withdrawn) grade.
- Drops with a W will count toward the maximum number of times you can repeat a course.
Know the Rules on Repeating Courses
- Students may not enroll in the same course more than three times.
- If you receive two W's, two substandard grades, or a combination thereof, the enrollment system will block you from enrolling again.
- You will need to request an "override" from the Admissions Office to register in the course again. This will be the last time you may enroll in this class at Foothill-De Anza Community College District.
- See the Course Repetition page to learn more about your options, if you have not successfully completed a course in two attempts.
Get Your Final Grades
Check Your Progress Toward a Degree
Contact Disability Support Services for admissions and course registration assistance. Call the alternate media specialist at 408.864.5815 to request college materials in an alternate format.